Friday, April 27, 2012

Perceptions of disability

How have your perceptions of disability and inclusion changed since completing the independent study on inclusive education and the field experience in Belize?


To me, this is a tough prompt to write about.  I have always been very pro-inclusion in the classroom.  I would have to say that I feel more strongly about inclusion since my experience started here in Belize.  Honestly it is amazing.  I watched a child today, Ralphie, who definitely probably has a disability, there is a disconnect between speech and reading.  On the beach today all the kids were playing making sand castles, or something of the sort, but I noticed how Ralphie took his time and made everything on his sand invention smooth.  The other kids were just digging up sand and making higher piles of sand.  It was definitely interesting. I think that there skills that children can pick up from one another when they are all in a classroom.  Another student I have watched, I haven't worked with her as much is Kaila.  It is so interesting what even the other students can learn from Kaila like sign language.  I feel like having a non-verbal student in the classroom encourages students to learn sign language and pick up on the movements people make.  I feel like an inclusive environment also educates people about disabilities.  It is definitely a tougher environment, but it is such a great thing to add in the social aspect of inclusion and to make others aware of disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment