Sunday, April 22, 2012

Supports for Children with Special Needs

What strategies have you used to support children with special needs in your classroom?


I'm not in the classroom as much because I pull out students mostly except for the High Schoolers, however I did substitute twice this week in Teacher Hector's classroom.  There is a student, Kaila who I have tried to help incorporate in the classroom during the day.  I let her play a game, Silent Ball with the other students.  Also, during a group activity she was able to cut out ways of transportation after someone showed her what to cut out.  Also, since I have learned that she knows sign language I have been using word puzzle pieces to see what she tells me the word is.  During the same class I have been able to help Tayza with her skill of spelling and how to identify letter sounds a little.  


At the high school I have been supporting the in the students in the classroom just by offering help during the lesson.  I have worked mostly with Khoder and Darwin, but I have also worked some with Elsa.  Elsa does not have special needs but she speaks no English.  I have used my little knowledge of Spanish to help her in some ways during math.  I think the best thing I ever learned in Spanish is to ask "Come se dice (English word)?"  which is "How do you say (English word)."  I have found that she actually understands some English and if you model it she can figure out what you are talking about.  With Darwin I have only worked with him twice.  I have been helping him mostly stay on task.  I help him also gather his thoughts of what to write by just talking to him about a story a teacher may read out loud.  Khoder I have helped him mostly by helping him start things and do examples of specific assignments with a little help at first and then I let him work on things by his self.  He does a lot better when someone is working a problem out right beside of him and then he can practice it with someone.  I believe that he is very unsure of his self and I have noticed that he often looks and wait for someone to tell him that he is on the right track before he move on with a problem, but I'm trying to convince him that he can do work by his self.


This week I also worked after school with a student, Jason, from R.C.  His teacher and mother have said that he has problems reading and with memory.  I worked with him for about 45 minutes.  I never really noticed any major problems with his reading, but I could kind of tell that it was hard for him to stay on the right line with reading, so I had him put a piece of notebook paper down while he was reading and cover the words he had not yet read.  He read great after that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment